Primary Location: Canada – Ontario – Toronto
At Weber Shandwick we approach familiar business problems with new frames to produce different outcomes. That’s what we mean when we say “We Solve” (and we say that a lot these days). We’re solving for a metrics-hungry landscape that relies too heavily on the data that is easiest to measure. Our position: there is additional information to consider that will bring a deeper understanding of the job to do. Applying new design approaches bring new frames to see problems in a different light. Likewise, applying new technology allows us to answer bigger questions. This is how we create new possibilities.
We are currently seeking a Director, Planning in Toronto. We’re looking for a strong collaborator that can anchor integrated teams around a job to be done, produce insight that elevates groups to uncover new creative possibilities, and act as a trusted advisor to clients. The position requires a mind for research and design with an aptitude for understanding people, articulating strategies, measuring business impact, and helping groups make decisions.
If you’re a communications planner / strategist / researcher / design-thinker that is inspired by uncovering different angles to approaching a problem and loves working with integrated teams, we made this posting for you. This is an opportunity to play a leadership role at a forward-thinking, award-winning and globally leading integrated communications agency.
Reporting into the VP Insights for Canada, this person will be a key player in reframing the problem to solve by uncovering new data that enables new possibilities for some of Canada’s most iconic and beloved brands.
- Develop a deep understanding of key client business, communication strategy, and target audiences to produce materials that integrates the agency into client-side strategic planning
- Collaborate with client experience, creative and integrated media departments to consistently deliver new strategies and executions that demonstrate fresh creative thinking
- Bring the audience perspective into the planning and creative process, and actively participate in creative development and the selling of ideas
- Deliver reliable initial quotes for planning work, update accordingly as things change, and manage research vendors within the work
- Experiment with innovative approaches to gathering insights and solving problems, stay at the forefront of technology trends, and contribute to development of our research partner network
- Demonstrate thought leadership by proposing and executing primary research projects within the broader planning team
- Participate in new business opportunities and lead the strategic point of view
- Be a leader in a high-performing group; contribute to group thinking and learn from peers; mentor and develop junior team members
- Professional Experience: 7-9 years related professional experience, with at least 3 of those years in an agency environment
- Track record of balancing deep curiosity with surgical decisiveness
- Deep experience working with creative teams, writing tight briefs, and leading ideation exercises
- Excellent research skills, ideally with solid qualitative or quantitative experience
- Quick on feet, particularly when ideating, and applies a design-critique approach
- Active curiosity for how humans think, and the building blocks of why they make decisions
- Strong independent thinker that acknowledges and respects different types of thinkers, and what different people require to do their best work
- Knowledgeable about strategy fundamentals
- Comfort developing and clearly articulating a point of view (on consumers, categories, markets)
- Detail-oriented, multi-tasker with excellent time-management skills
- Strong written, verbal communication, negotiation and presentation skills
About Weber Shandwick
Weber Shandwick is a leading global communications and engagement firm in 78 cities with a network extending to 129 cities around the world. The firm’s diverse team of strategists, analysts, producers, designers, developers and campaign activators has won the most prestigious awards in the world for innovative, creative approaches and impactful work. Weber Shandwick was the only public relations agency included on the Advertising Age Agency A-list in 2014 and 2015 and the only PR firm designated an A-List Agency Standout in 2017 and 2018. Weber Shandwick was honored as PRWeek’s Global Agency of the Year in 2015, 2016 and 2017, The Holmes Report’s Global Agency of the Year in 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2017, and The Holmes Report’s Global Digital Agency of the Year in 2016. The firm deploys deep expertise across sectors and specialty areas, including consumer marketing, corporate reputation, healthcare, technology, public affairs, financial services, employee engagement, social impact, financial communications and crisis management, using proprietary social, digital and analytics methodologies. Weber Shandwick is part of the Interpublic Group (NYSE: IPG). For more information, visit https://webershandwick.ca.
Weber Shandwick is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Weber Shandwick recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.